The tree by my window

Monday, August 14, 2006

Independence Day Spl

Was reading up on Ramprasad Bismil in preparation for the recording. Its the first time that I'm reading up in detail on Bismil......my knowledge of freedom fighters stops at Bhagat Singh. Pretty sad actually if you think of it. These guys gave up their lives so that we could live in peace, and have the freedom to do what we wanted ( that would include expressing these views on this blog ).......and we screw up our noses at the history books and proceed to forget everything about the freedom struggle the moment we get to drop history as a subject.

Then , as we grow up, being walking talking encyclopedias on such deep subjects as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Quentin Tarantino or the latest in thing seems cool, all things Indian become downmarket . I don't say that we ought to shun all things west of the Arabian Sea, and have a modern Swadeshi movement. But ........spare a thought for your own country, its history, its culture ............It'll probably do you good to be proud of your country for a change.

I know, the same applies to me, and I hereby solemnly swear that I shall try to increase my awareness levels regarding India's history and culture.

Jai Hind

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home